Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Mommy, M.D.

I don't care what doctors say. I'm a mommy and I say ear infections are contagious. They are in my household anyway. And I'm betting just about every mommy will agree with me.

I woke up Sunday morning around 3:30 am with the worst earache ever. And of course Ethan was sleeping comfortably on my chest (after yet another very looooong night) and there was no way I was moving. So I laid there for an hour in excruciating pain. Finally, Ethan sat up and then promptly laid back down on the pillow next to me. I'm not sure he even opened his eyes. I quickly, yet carefully, took this opportunity to get up and take something for the pain.

I rummaged through my medicine bottles and was thinking that I'd really like to take the Percocet or the Demerol I have, but I better just stick with the prescription Ibuprofen. The others would make me too drowsy to function and since I am a mommy, I still have to take care of everyone else who is sick. Luckily, the Ibuprofen worked and the pain subsided. When we got up for the day, I decided I was not doing another night like that and told Eric we were going to Immediate Care that day. Surely they won't be that busy on a Sunday. He and Ereka could go eat lunch while Ethan and I saw the doctor and by the time they were done, we should be done. That was a stupid idea.

The place opens at Noon on Sundays and we pulled into the parking lot around 11:45. You would have thought the place was having some kind of sale. The line stretched clear across the parking lot. It probably would have been a 3-4 hour wait minimum. And so we exited the parking lot and went back home. I called our doctor first thing Monday morning and by the time I actually got through and was able to talk to anyone, all of their Monday appointments were taken. So I made an appointment for Ethan today. My ear didn't hurt anymore, so I opted not to make myself an appointment. Another stupid idea.

About 8:00 pm last night, my ear started hurting again. I took some more medicine and went to bed. Luckily I was able to see our doctor at the same time as Ethan this morning and found out I have an ear infection and Ethan has a double ear infection. I give it a couple of days and Ereka will have an ear infection too. Like I said, ear infections are contagious in our household.

No comments: