Thursday, December 13, 2007

Brides Against Breast Cancer

I've been thinking for quite some time as to whether I should keep my wedding dress or sell it or donate or what. It really is a pretty dress.


Here's a picture of the back.

And here's a picture of the front.

My mom made the entire thing. And I've held on to it for over 5 years now. But, I decided there really was no good reason to continue holding on to it. My daughter isn't going to want to wear it. She's going to want a new dress of her own. And I'm not really into keeping clothes for sentimental value. So then I thought about selling it. Well I did a little research on Ebay and wedding dresses really don't sell very well. Understandable. Who wants to buy a wedding dress without trying it on first. So then I thought about donating it to Goodwill or the DAV. But then I thought I really want to donate it to something special. So I did a google search on places to donate wedding dresses. And that's how I found "
Brides Against Breast Cancer". I read their website and decided this would be a great way to help women with breast cancer and I can get rid of my wedding dress all at the same time. I haven't 100% decided to do it. I asked my husband for his opinion and even though he said it was my dress and I could do whatever I wanted, I could tell he really doesn't want me to. He thinks that one day if we decide to renew our vows, then I'll want to wear it for that. First of all, there is no way I will ever be able to fit into it again. Second of all, if there comes a day that we do renew our vows, I want to wear something new. Lol. So I'm going to sleep on it for a few days and then I'll decide what to do. I would love some input from anyone else that has done this or who is thinking of doing this. Thanks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have it made into something else. small pillow or just save a couple of scraps. And then you could save that for the something old at your daughters wedding or even for a future daughter in law.

Vickie said...

You have a very beautiful dress that was specially made by your mother. Your daughter will not want to wear it when she grows up and gets married and you have pictures of your dress to go down memory lane, so the obvious choice to me would be to donate the dress to "Brides Against Breast Cancer". Look at it as a pay it forward kind of situation. You were very happy and beautiful when you wore it and by donating it you can give someone else the chance to feel the same. No good deed goes unrewarded.

Anonymous said...

I think it would be fine if you wanted to donate your wedding dress. I agree that should you renew your vows someday you will want a new dress and Erica will also want a new dress for her wedding day.