Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Google it!


A couple of useful tips I want to give out right now.

Google. 'nuff said. Ok, not really, but in my honest opinion Google is absolutely the best search engine. And they have a lot of awesome features. Google is my home page and I have a google toolbar which is also wonderful. Google has tons of gadgets to choose from to add to your home page. The picture above is my personal home page. And as long as I am signed in, I can have the exact same web page at home that I have at work. I can make changes at either place and the changes will be saved. The same goes for my toolbar. I can be browsing while I'm at work and if I see something that I want to look more into when I get home, I can bookmark it on my google toolbar and it will be on bookmarks on my google toolbar at home too. And if I'm on someone else's computer, but want my bookmarks, all I have to do is go to google's home page and log in to my account and everything is there. It's great!!

And Google as a search engine is great too. You can find just about everything on Google. Did you know you can google someone's name and if there is anything on the internet about that person, it will show up. For example, if you type "Joe Blow" (with the quotes or you will get everything containing Joe and/or Blow), every webpage with his name will show. And if you get too many hits with their name, you can narrow it down even further by typing a city and/or state after the quotes and it will then only show web pages with their name and the city or state. You can learn an awful lot about someone just by googling their name. Go ahead. Google your name and see what you find. You might be surprised.

My next tip:

Yahoo Groups. I've recently learned about yahoo groups. I currently belong to 17 yahoo groups; 9 freecycle groups, 4 paralegal groups, 3 microsoft word/office groups and 1 WordPerfect group. In just the few short weeks that I've been a member of these groups (with the exception of the freecycle groups which I will discuss in a later post), I have gained so much new knowledge about each subject. I really don't know what else to say. It is definitely something everyone could benefit from. They have tons of groups to choose from. I will make at least one suggestion. If you choose to receive the posts as emails, I strongly recommend setting your email up through Outlook or Outlook Express and then set up rules to have the emails sent to specific folders or your inbox will be inedated(sp?) with tons of emails; especially if it is a popular group. Yahoo really have some great forums to be a part of. If you have any questions, you leave it in my comment section.

By the way, I was not paid for this post by either Google or Yahoo. These are my own personal opinions. Thank you.

No comments: