Thursday, December 6, 2007

Smoking Ban

Another hot topic right now is whether or not there should be a city-wide smoking ban. If this passes, that would mean there would be no smoking in ALL public places. I have mixed opinions about this. I don't smoke. My husband doesn't smoke. I know people that do smoke. There is absolutely no smoking in my home or my car. These are all my choice. And I have the freedom to make these choices. The freedom of choosing to smoke or not smoke should be up to the individual. If they want to kill themselves with those nasty things, by all means, let them. There are already a lot of businesses that don't allow smoking and it has been their choice. I think it should be up to the owners of each individual business as to whether they want to allow smoking or not. Owners who have invested their time and money into a business should have the freedom to make the decision on whether or not to ban smoking. Aren't we being hypocritical by asking the government to take away business owners' rights while asking to keep our own at the same time? Do we really need the government to enact more laws that restrict our personal choices.

On the other hand, smokers are polluting my air. Secondhand smoke is a health hazard. This is a proven fact. And I'm sorry, but having a nonsmoking and a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section and a non-peeing section in a swimming pool. And are you telling me that all of you smokers are just going to quit going out to all clubs/bars/restaurants if the city enacts a smoking ban? Probably not. I have noticed that smoking bans are increasing all over the country and I'm sure that eventually the City of Wichita will also have a smoking ban. It may not occur as soon as some hope, but I'm certain it will someday. Maybe now is a good time to quit smoking.

Smokers deserve fair treatment just like everyone else. Everybody has a few bad habits. Smoking happens to be theirs. I do not and have never smoked cigarettes, but I do not feel it is my place to take this right from others who wish to do so.

---------------------------------------------

Things to Ponder for the day:

  • If the number 2 pencil is so popular why is it still number two?
  • Why do they call them hemorrhoids instead of "asteroids"?
  • How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?
  • Why do psychics have to ask your name?
  • If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
  • Why do kamikaze pilots wear helmets?
  • Why is the alphabet in that order, is it because of that song?
  • If you write a book about failure and it doesn't sell, is it a success?
  • If love is blind why is lingerie so popular?
  • If you're born again, do you have two belly buttons?

No comments: